H-4 Visa

An H-4 is a dependent visa granted to the immediate family members of those holding H Visas.

The H-1B Visa allows employers in the United States to employ foreign workers in some outlined specialty occupations. The H-2A and H-2B are for seasonal agricultural and non-agricultural workers, while the H-3 is reserved to trainees.

The H-4 visa allows spouses and children under the age of 21 to legally come to the United States with the H-1B visa holder.

An H-4 Visa holder is ineligible for a Social Security number or to be employed in the United States. Generally, it is not even recommended to do volunteer work.

There are a few things that you can do on an H-4 visa, such as:

  • Obtain a driver's license
  • Open a bank account
  • Attend school and college

There are some ways for an H-4 visa holder to eventually obtain a green card. Since this is a dual-intent visa, there are a few ways that this can happen, such as through a Labor Certification filed by a U.S. Company, or a family-based immigrant petition.

If an H-4 Visa holder under the age of 21 chooses to attend college or university in the United States, he or she may be able to change their status from a H-4 to an F-1 student visa.

The F-1 student visa allows a student to remain in the United States after the age of 21 and will allow the student to file for a temporary work permit once they complete his or her studies.

While someone that is in the country on a H-4 visa does not have many options for employment, the benefit of this visa is that it is a flexible visa that allows its holders a number of other visa options.

For any questions or concerns you may have about the H-4 visa or any possible change of status, speak to an experienced New Jersey Immigration lawyer.

Internet Marketing Experts The information on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.