Applying for U Visas

New Jersey Immigration Attorney – 973.814.4408

When the police need the help of a foreigner to complete a criminal investigation and possibly land a conviction, it is in everyone’s best interests to allow that person to enter the country and remain there for as long as necessary. A U visa can permit an immigration or refugee to stay in the United States for many years if they can help with an investigation, or if they are the victim of a serious crime. Due to the dire circumstances surrounding U visas, no one is barred from filing for one, not even illegal immigrants.

To find out if you are eligible for a U visa, contact New Jersey Immigration Attorney Simone Bertollini today.

Understanding the U Visa Application Process

The U visa application process will begin with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Many people are understandably intimidated with the USCIS, especially if they are not lawful immigrants. Keep in mind that you cannot be discriminated for U visa approval based on immigration status, or lack thereof. The entire purpose of the U visa is provide shelter to someone in an emergency situation, or to bring a dangerous criminal into the arms of the law. My law firm can help you with each step along the way to ensure that all filing requirements are met.

Criminal acts eligible for U visa status consideration must be severe or dangerous, such as:

  • Conspiracy
  • Domestic violence
  • Human trafficking
  • Involuntary servitude
  • Kidnapping
  • Murder or manslaughter
  • Sexual exploitation or abuse
  • Witness tampering

Privileges Granted Through U Visas

If the USCIS approves your U visa application, it will allow you and any immediate family members to live and work within the country. This ability will have a maximum duration of four years without renewal, and will require you to help with an ongoing criminal investigation. Helping with an investigation is often as simple as providing testimonies in and out of court when necessary.

If you are permitted to stay within the United States for three years or more due to a U visa, you will be able to apply for a green card – legal permanent residency (LPR) – after the third year. This application process will be the same as any green card application, a matter that I have handles innumerable times. Get a consultation from a New Jersey immigration lawyer from my firm to learn more.

Experienced Representation with a Compassionate Approach

With a history of success with difficult cases and a long list of client testimonials from people throughout New Jersey, I am prepared to fight for your rights and provide you with the high-quality service you deserve. If you have been the victim of a crime while in the United States and need a visa to keep you out of harm’s way, or if you have witnessed a dangerous crime and need to help investigators, speak with me at once by calling 973.814.4408.

Contact the Law Offices of Simone Bertollini for comprehensive representation today.

Internet Marketing Experts The information on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.